Can You Cry with Eyelash Extensions? What to do After Crying
Crying with false eyelashes can be a tricky situation. On one hand, it’s perfectly natural and understandable to cry, but on the other hand, your beautiful lash extensions may become damaged if you do so.
To help keep your false lashes looking fabulous after a good cry, it’s important to take proper care afterwards.
Understanding how to take care of your eyelash extensions during these instances is vital to prolong their lifespan and keep your eyes looking stunning. Whether you have tears from an allergic reaction, sensitive eyes, a sad movie, tears of joy or emotional tears- we will help you do just that!
Can You Cry with Eyelash Extensions?
The Impact of Tears on Eyelash Extensions
Tears are not just water; they contain a complex mix of oils, electrolytes, and enzymes which help to maintain eye health. However, this composition can have some adverse impacts on your eyelash extensions and even natural eyelashes.
Firstly, the salt in tears and watery eyes can break down the eyelash extension glue that holds the extensions in place. This is because the salt can react chemically with the eyelash adhesive, causing it to deteriorate more rapidly.
The oils in your tears can also create a slippery surface which makes it more difficult for the adhesive to maintain a strong bond with your natural lashes.
Secondly, excessive rubbing of the eyes while crying can physically dislodge the lashes. This can lead to premature fallout of your extensions, shortening their lifespan. Many people have a natural instinct to rub their eyes when crying to relieve discomfort, but doing so can be very damaging to your eyelash extensions and even your real eyelashes.
Lastly, the moisture from tears can cause the lashes to clump together. This not only affects the appearance of the lashes, making them look less full and natural, but can also create an environment where bacteria can thrive, potentially leading to eye infections.
So, while it’s okay to cry with eyelash extensions, it’s crucial to handle the aftermath properly to minimize potential damage and retain lash longevity.
Signs of Damage from Tears
When your eyelash extensions are exposed to tears, you might notice a few changes that could indicate potential damage. These signs should not be ignored, as they can lead to further complications if left unattended.
- Loosening of Extensions: The first sign of damage might be a loosening of the extensions. This is due to the weakening of the eyelash glue caused by the salt and oils in tears. You might notice that your extensions don’t feel as secure as they did, or they may start to droop.
- Increased Fallout: If you experience an increase in the amount of fallout from your extensions, this could be a sign that the adhesive has been compromised. You might find more extensions on your pillow in the morning or notice that they seem to be thinning on your eyelids.
- Clumping of Lashes: The moisture from tears can cause your extensions to stick together and form clumps. This can distort the natural, full look of your extensions and make them appear messy or uneven. Dried tears that are not washed away will also cause clumping.
- Eye Irritation or Infection: If bacteria has had a chance to thrive due to the moist environment created by tears, you may experience symptoms such as itching, redness, or even an eye infection.
What to do After Crying
Immediately after crying, it’s important to take care of your eyelash extensions to prevent any further damage or discomfort.
- Blot Gently: Firstly, avoid rubbing your eyes. Instead, gently blot the tears away using a clean, dry paper towel or a soft microfiber cloth. This can help minimize the exposure of your extensions to the salts and oils from your tears.
- Rinse and Dry: Next, rinse your eyes with lukewarm water or micellar water to remove any residual salts or oils from the dry tears. Once done, dry your eyelashes by lightly patting them with a soft towel. Again, be gentle to avoid causing any lash fallout.
- Use Oil-Free Cleanser: If possible, cleanse your eyes with an oil-free cleanser to ensure that no residue remains that could weaken the adhesive. Make sure to rinse thoroughly and dry gently after. It is important to avoid any oil-based cleansers and oil-based products. We go in to detail about how exactly to cleanse your lashes in this blog post.
- Brush Your Lashes: Once your lashes are completely dry, brush them using a clean spoolie to prevent clumping and keep them looking full and natural.
- Avoid Eye Make-up: It’s a good idea to avoid applying any eye makeup immediately after crying, even waterproof mascara. Especially avoid eyelash curlers. The application process can put additional strain on the extensions and the makeup can interfere with your lashes’ recovery process.
Remember, if you notice continued discomfort or signs of an eye infection, it’s always best to consult your lash technician of an eye doctor.
In conclusion, crying with eyelash extensions is not harmful and can be unavoidable, but it does require some extra care to maintain the integrity of the extensions and the health of your eyes. The good news is that with a few simple steps you can keep your luscious lashes looking amazing.
It’s crucial to remember that gentleness is key in handling your extensions, especially when they’re exposed to moisture from tears. If you’re a frequent crier or if you’re worried about the potential impact of tears on your extensions, you might want to discuss this with your eyelash artist at the beginning of your lash appointment. They can provide tailored advice and may be able to recommend specific, high-quality products or techniques to help you protect and care for your extensions. This also helps protect the health of your natural lashes.
Remember, taking care of your eyelash extensions is not just about preserving their aesthetic appeal, but also about ensuring the health and well-being of your natural lashes and eye area. A good lash serum applied to your lash line regularly can also help strengthen your own lashes while also helping you grow longer lashes.
Ready to experience the transformative power of eyelash extensions? Don’t let the fear of tears hold you back. At Lulu Beauty Spa in Chicago, our trained professionals are equipped with the knowledge and experience to help you navigate any concerns you have and ensure that your extensions are not only stunning but also healthy.
We’re committed to delivering a personalized, comfortable experience for every client. So why wait? Take the first step towards achieving your dream lashes today. Book your appointment at Lulu Beauty Spa and let us make your beauty goals a reality.